FLORIDA

FLORIDA

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Humor came at the end of the day...

April 27, 2011 – POST 3


Well…this has been an interesting day.  And to think I was worried I would really have nothing of interest to blog about!! 

We were very lazy and slept in this morning.  We did see some of Kyiv and then had to be at SDA to pick up our ‘Permission Papers’at .  After that we headed to the airport to catch our flight to Z.  The whole airport/flight thing was SOME experience!  First of all the domestic terminal was awful!  We both fly weekly for work and this ranked as the worst airport experience ever!  It was so hot and so crowded and was our first experience in Ukraine where people were very rude.  We found a sweet woman who helped us understand where to go and which gate was ours – thank you, God, for her.  She warned us not to expect much from the plane so on the bus out to the plane we were just praying for a decent, safe aircraft!  OH MY!!!  When we got to it we both looked at each other and said start praying!!!   As we boarded this very old looking prop plane Jason looked at me and said, “I try to make it a habit to not fly on a plane that is older than I am!”  I am not sure exactly how old it was but there was a table in the middle of it, it had curtains, an incredibly musty odor, and other items that neither of us has ever seen in our 40 years!  As we were taking off he looked at me and said, “It’s hot in here.  Can you roll the window down over there?”  I was not in the mood for his jokes!!  Thankfully Thomas fell asleep before we even took off and woke up once we landed.  I will just tell those of you waiting to travel to Chernigivka that if you aren’t all that ok with flying you may want to consider the overnight train!

We did meet a very nice man on the plane who is an attorney in Ukraine.  When he heard where we were going, he laughed and said, “Why?”  When we told him we were adopting he was kind and told us that if we needed anything to call him because he knew the officials in Chernigivka.  He was very gracious and helped us with bags and gave us his contact information.  In addition he was a great distraction for us on the flight!!!

So we met Sergey at the airport and started to the hotel where we will stay tonight.  It is about $50/night.  He proceeded to tell us that he knows nothing about the process of adopting in this area (which we knew) and he told us that we will be the first family to ever adopt from Chernigivka.  We knew we were the first host family to, but we assumed someone else had gone before us…this out to be interesting!

OK…so here is our humor for the night…you have to scroll down to the pictures below and see the lamps in our room at this hotel.  Guess how you flip them on and off?  Yep…you got it!!!!!!!!

Good night…please pray for INCREDIBLE speed with this process we will be starting tomorrow.  We will see Vika in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Also pray for her and that she has peace about her decision tomorrow.

Thanks to all of you for the support...and to you, Meleney, for being a GREAT immediate prayer warrior when I need it!!


5 comments:

  1. I am committed to praying for y'all :) - I'm thinking of you and praying for y'all all the time. It's weird, I feel like I'm almost anticipating what y'all are going through in a way (even though I know I can't possibly even imagine!) I think it's just because I've read so many blogs on the process, and now I'm reading about YOU actually living it out - it's awesome. You have so many amazing qualities, Alison, and one of them is your leadership. And now you are a "pioneer" in this region and orphanage - it's is AWESOME - God gave you these gifts and He has put you in just the right place to use them.
    I'm going to wake up early tomorrow and pray for you and Vika - your reunion, peace, conviction and God's hand in all the events of tomorrow, and coming days. Please take pictures that you can post when it's safe to, of your reunion with Vika - I can't wait to see her precious face again! Praying for all the children of Chernigivka as you bring hope and love to a place not many people have ever even been. Praying you have a special encounter with 2 sisters that are part of my heart, too :)

    (ps... the lamp is REALLY something! hahaha - classy joint! :) )
    (Thomas has the most beautiful smile ever - he's a ray of sunshine!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still trying to get over the lamps!! OMgoodness! I am so excited for you all that you made it there safe...especially with the sounds of your plane! It is great you both are finding your humor in it all! You are in our prayers for the whole trip and the ground breaking you are doing there for all to adopt in the future. You all are awesome! Much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that about that region. One of the girls we are hosting is from an orphanage that at least as of 2009 had only ever had 1 other adoption from it.

    Did you get any pictures of the plane?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian...I cacn't believe we didn't!!! What were we thinking...oh yeah, we were too busy praying! Well, Jason is flying to France for work next week so he gets 2 extra flights on it and then we will get another when we all leave. That gives us 3 opportunities. I will! now if only there was a way to send the smell over the internet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meleney...I wish you were here with us! You are the best friend I could ask for and I feel your prayers every second. I will call you as soon as I can this afternoon. And I cannot wait to see the girls :))))

    ReplyDelete