FLORIDA

FLORIDA

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

CLICK here for pics from the last 2 days

We were so tired last night after our day that I didn’t have a lot of energy to type much but I wanted to share a little more about the process after the 10 day waiting period for those soon to travel.

I can only talk about my experience with Sergei…but he gets it done.  I cannot believe all we got done in a day.  As a matter of fact Melaney and I keep asking each other what day it is.  It is not because it has been a bad trip, rather we have accomplished so much that it is hard to grasp that really this is only the end of day 2 here.  What Sergei got done yesterday is unreal:
- leave for Vika’s hometown
– arrive and wait for new birth cert in new name
– leave for Tax ID office
– leave for Chernigivka
– arrive Chernigivka
– Leave Chernigivka (after final paperwork, lunch, and a few necessary, short goodbyes)
– Arrive Zaporozhyze
– Back and forth between notary and passport office about 5 times
PASSPORT (in less than 3 hours!)

Today we slept in and left for Chernigivka.  There was no time yesterday to deal with the toys and presents we brought.  We THOUGHT we had it worked out with Alex to see all of the kids today…BUT when we got there he was out of town.  His wonderful secretary was there.  She apologized but said we would have to leave the gifts for the official meeting they have on Sunday mornings where they will hand out the gifts.  Families who sent things…the secretary who is a Saint understands each situation and has the gifts marked for each child.  She also has birthday supplies for Natasha and Sasha and some for their group of their friends.  I am sorry it wasn’t what you wanted, but I can promise we did our best!  We did get to spend some time tying up loose ends with Vika and her friends and doing a couple of other things.  So all in all it was a good trip and we know the kids will get their things tomorrow.  I will say this…Vika has every letter, packing label, anything I ever sent her.  They even sent her out with the same suitcase we sent her back with in January.  So I do believe you can rest assured that they receive everything you send.  The secretary did ask me today to tell any other families to please not send food, candy, or gum in the packages!  J

Now onto the interesting trip back to Kiev!  The prop plane doesn’t fly on weekends and we wanted to go ahead and get to Kiev so we opted for the overnight train.  The train is an experience all its own and the prop plane that we took to get to Zap dims in comparison to this.   I think that the bathrooms at the train station, the temperature in the train at the end of May, the amount of room in our compartment, luggage for 3 (including sweet Vika’s life’s positions) are not for the faint of heart.  It is a lot…but once the train starts to move and the temperature decreases you can use the bathrooms (FYI why do you think you can’t use the bathroom when the train is stationary???).  Technology needs to improve to include smells with pictures to really get the true impact!!  

But then you see your daughter smiling on the top bunk of a 4x6 compartment and you realize this is SOOO AWESOME!  We set up a DVD player are watching a movie.  We ate some snacks and water (that we brought) and will be in Kiev before in the morning!  Honestly, it was rough in the beginning because of the bathrooms at the station and the heat.  The bathrooms are literally detestable and not fit for animals.  I don’t understand that.  But the train is quiet and has a gentle rocking motion.  Just don’t forget the packs of Kleenex, hand sanitizer, and wet wipes!

The highlights of the day…
When we were driving back from Chernigivika, she laid down in my lap and let me rub her hair.  It was hard to leave her friends for a second time today and I was honored she allowed me to console her a little and start to me a mom to her.

This afternoon I called to check on Jason and the kids and I told her to say hi to her Dad.  She looked at me and I said your Papa.  She took the phone and had a big smile on her face.  She spoke for a second and then said, “I love you.”

The second the train started Vika opened the bag she brought out of the orphanage.  She pulled out a stack of photographs that her grandmother gave her last weight.  They are the MOST prized possessions I now own.  There are wedding pictures of her mother and father and childhood pictures of her.  I cannot explain what it felt like to see this angel standing at 3 or 4 in front of a Christmas or at 7 or8 dressed like a princess.  I don’t want to sound like a bragging mother, but Melaney said it first…she was the most precious child and I am so thrilled that they were gracious enough and cared enough to send them.  I had a hard time with her being gone last week but I now see that this was a gift God gave her and me.  It was closure for her and provided me a glimpse into her life and past I would never otherwise have.  The day was wrapped up and tied with a bow!

Good night…we are hoping to meet other with another family in Kiev tomorrow so we should rest, at least a little!

Hugs to you all


Post Part 2

We arrived in Kiev this morning.  Melaney and I were so exhausted it was like our bodies were made of lead.  We immediately showered and all 3 of us took another nap.  After that it was lunch and we went walking around.  There was a huge event in the City Center so it was crazy busy.  It was fun to walk around and people watch.  We ate lunch out and then went to the store.  Our plans are to make dinner tonight and go to bed at a NORMAL time tonight! 

Now that the train ride is over we both said we would not do that again.  When you are here for adoption you have more bags than most people on the train.  It is long and was beyond warm.  It wasn’t pleasant for that long…especially when you are tired.  Our recommendation is…the plane!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment