FLORIDA

FLORIDA

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A rough day...

Today was a rough one.  I am mentally exhausted, frustrated, disappointed, and worried. 

Jason is still away trying to work a little bit.  He will return tomorrow night.  I didn't get to see Vika until about 6pm.  The inspector required another thorough physical for her so she had to go to the hospital and see 5 different doctors!?!  This report was 100% healthy - go figure. 

I had to ride with Sergey to the town Vika and her brothers were born to pick up the coveted 'separation papers'.  The inspector here (like social workers at home) did their thing but then the inspector in that town had final say to separate them and it had to be signed by the mayor of that town. They did sign off and were so kind and gracious when we arrived.  We came bearing gifts to show our appreciation!  The inspector in that town knows Vika's family and was able to confirm a lot of information we have been told.  She confirmed that Vika's father did drown in a fishing acident when he was 29.  She said her mother has a lot of issues and always has.  She said the grandmother that has been visiting Vika is her paternal grandmother.  She said she cares about the children but is a little eccentric.  It was so interesting to listen to someone who watched this family fall apart...she said Vika and Sergei were very sweet children but were in a mess when they were younger after their father died.  I asked why and how they ended up in Chernigivka (there are orpahanges closer to her home town so I wanted to undertand the process).  She said that Vika and Sergei (her brother) were originally placed in Zap but were ultimately moved to Chernigivka by the regional board in Zap. 

After that we tried to make contact with the Vital Records office (new birth cert bearing her new name).  We will need them later in the process and Sergey likes to cover all bases.  Unfortunately they still think it is a holiday in Ukraine and they weren't there!  Next we went to the tax ID office (like Social Security...again, name change ultimately needed) and made a contact there and verified how they want us to handle this step when it is time. 

This may not sound like too bad of a day...but you haven't driven on these roads and you weren't with a 4 year old bored out of his mind!  I thought the road to Chernigivka was bad...  There is a town called Takmok and I am not kidding when I tell you that there are craters for about 8km and all the roads, in general, on this drive were abysmal.  It was awful.  I was sick!  Thankfully Thomas slept on the way there, but he didn't on the way back and because of the road conditions the trip took a long time.  On the way back Thomas was not feeling good (he is prone to carsickness).  Sure enough the second we walked in our door he threw up repeatedly EVERYWHERE!  At least it was not in Sergey's car!  He was cranky after this and that started the evening.  I have determined that if I hit the lottery I am sending money to fix those roads!!!!!!!!

Sergey went to see the local inspector to take our 'precious document' and found out that the letter Vika wrote last Thursday had an error in it.  He also found out that it doesn't look like court is a possibility until at least Thursday next week.  He came back to tell me this and I was in the middle of dealing with a defiant 4 year old and a 14 year old defiant teen-ager!!  UGH!!!

I am frustrated because we have issues at home that we need to deal with.  I know every family does, but I am worried about jobs, three more kids at home, dogs, and on and on.  I am feeling stressed and homesick to get back.  I am equally stressed to know I have to come back for the final processing.  I am frustrated that we have 3 holidays here that are slowing this down.  And I know I sound like a brat and that God is bigger than all of this and I am not to worry...so I will stop (or at least try  :))  )

I do know we have a lot to be thankful for and many reasons to praise God!  First of all we are here together and being forced to slow down; we are healthy (if we can keep T out of a car for long drives!); Vika seems ready to start this new chapter in her life and seems excited; I am getting a rare, valuable glimpse into the life she has led which should make me a better mother; the issue of the brother and the papers have caused her to talk to her 2 brothers and other family that she may not have before she left; we have found favor with every official we have dealt with thus far (I have been praying and asking you guys to pray for this and it has truly happened in each instance which Sergey says is not the norm).  So I know I need to focus on this and not the cruddy day today and the frustrations and worries...

Sergey is going in the morning to speak with the head judge and try to arrange court as soon as it is allowed.  Can I please ask you to pray for favor one more time?  Please pray that he would understand, that his schedule will allow him to help us and that the details come together tomorrow.  Please pray that Sergey says the words to compel him to work this out for us and our family!!!

In the meantime I will stop my pity party and focus on rest and a better day tomorrow! 

Thank you all for the private messages and emails and the ones you post here.  We feel the support and are thankful for each of you.  You are such a part of this girl's life already.  We all appreciate each of you and are praying for the needs you have made known to us!!!!

Good night,
One tired mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment