FLORIDA

FLORIDA

Monday, May 9, 2011

VICTORY DAY!

Today is Victory Day in Ukraine.  It is the day they celebrate their victory over Germany in the war.  It is a big deal here like July 4th is for us in America.  Alex (the Director) showed up early and wanted to take us for a walk and show us some of the festivities going on.  This little town was energized today and crowded (where did all the people come from?)!!  And everyone was dressed to the nines!  The men were all in suits and the women in their Sunday best (walking miles, BTW).

Alex also knows everyone.  As we were walking down the street a man stopped and started hugging Alex and Sergey seemed to know him as well.  We were introduced to him then Sergey looked at us and said that this man said he would see us soon.  We had a funny look on our faces.  Guess who it turned out to be......................The JUDGE HEARING OUR CASE!  He is a godparent to one of Alex's kids - none of us knew that!!!  He was actually very kind and was smiling from ear to ear the entire time.  So I do believe court will go well!

After we walked around Alex and his wife went to change and said they would be back for us in a couple of hours to go back to the stream I had been to with them last week (Jason missed it!) and we would cook out again.  We had such a good time.  Thomas ran around and played, we laughed a lot, and ate really well!  We had shish-ka-bobs again and, of course, the Russian 'accoutrements' were brought out.  Then Alex brought out his pellet guns and the guys had fun shooting at things.  I actually hit the bucket too (photo of Alex pointing out my shot attached!).  Alex and Tonya are both very sweet.  Their son Roman was there again.  Alex played with Thomas and Tonya brought special food and candy for him today.  Alex is returning to the States this summer as a chaperone with the hosting program.  We hope to be able to see him while he is there. 

When we returned to the orphanage Vika and 3 of her friends came and hung out with us.  We must not be too 'un-cool' for her yet!  They love the song Broken Angel?.?.  Personally I had never heard it, but it isn't my taste!  They got on youtube and watched the video 20x.  The song will forever live in my head (UGH!).  Then we started showing them videos of music we used to listen to as kids.  They laughed and laughed at that.  The only songs they found moderately entertaining were Vanilla Ice (the ice ice baby song which I hate, but...) and Madonna songs.  Surely I didn't listen to music my parents hated when I was a teenager???!!!

Vika received a letter and package from her mother today.  She sent her a wallet with a picture of herself in it.  I want to make a copy of it the second we get home so she always has one in case this one gets lost.  I don't know what I was expecting, but she doesn't anything like I imagined she would.  She also sent her some money.  Vika seemed glad to hear from her.  I think, in some way, all of this interaction with family is providing some closure.  She is also close to her group of girl friends so with us getting close to being able to bring her home we constantly tell her she can stay in touch with them when she goes to America.  I assume, over time, some of the interest with that will wane as she begins making new friends. 

A dear friend gave me some excellent advice today about how to handle the situation last night leaving the orphanage.  Another friend reminded me that on our turf back home a lot of these 'issues' go away or aren't even present.  I do believe this is true because we saw none of this type of behavior over hosting.  Sure...things weren't perfect, especially in the beginning but she ultimately became aware of our rules, how we do things, and she abided my that.  So once again, thank you friends for the support and concern!! 

Technically we are 4 days from home...but we are playing head games and telling ourselves that Thursday doesn't count because we will be so busy and will also be in Zap for the night where we plan on eating MCDONALDS!!!!!!!  Then Friday we are flying...so we really only have 2 more days to get through!!  I don't want that to sound awful...the people here have gone out of their way to help us and show us Ukrainian hospitality.  We have had the opportunity to meet Vika's friends and we have given a precious window into her life, both here at the orphanage and before.  But we miss home and the other kids, the dogs, our routines, church, etc...We will, however, go home changed and so much more thankful for what we have and where we are. 

Hugs from Ukraine tonight.  I am still on my knees for friends waiting for good news of many kinds.  We also have friends back home with some tough things going on this week.  We are praying for you all!






2 comments:

  1. Funny you mention Broken Angel. I hadn't heard it before either but Snezhana made it her ringtone recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian - that is the ringtone ALL the girls have on their phone here too. Guess I better get used to it!

    ReplyDelete