FLORIDA

FLORIDA

Thursday, May 5, 2011

What a day!

Sergey went right after breakfast to talk to the head judge.  The inspector from here went with him because she knows him. 

(A little background...some time ago a new policy was instituted to determine which judge hears your adoption case in Ukraine.  It is supposed to take corruption out of the system.  I don't understand it all but the basics are that it is a lottery which judge you get...there is a computer program that selects the judge and you are at their mercy.)

Ok...so Sergey and the inspector went in to speak with him.  Remember there have been no adoption cases in this village to date.  He was very wary.  Sergey and the inspector explained that we have other children at home waiting and that this trip was very hard on Thomas, who is here.  They also explained that we are staying in the orphanage and we really need our case heard asap.  The judge (like most Ukrainians) asked if we were paid to adopt kids in the US.  He wouldn't let this point go...and with this, Sergey was not feeling so optimistic.  The judge also questioned the number of children we will have once Vika is home and he questioned why anyone would want to adopt a child of this age. 

Let me back up a minute...Sergey and I had spoken at breakfast this morning.  It was the first time he has seen me reading my Bible before breakfast.  It prompted conversation about my thoughts on orphans and why we or other Americans adopt.  I also told him that I had many friends praying for him and this judge today.  OK, so back to the judge and Sergey...Sergey said that all of a sudden he remembered our conversation about orphans this morning and he told the judge that we care about orphans so much because we can't stand to think about any child of any age going to sleep at night without a parent to tuck them in and tell them that they are loved - in our minds these are basics that any child deserves.  Sergey said the judge was very quiet.  Then the judge spoke and told him that if he was the judge selected by the computer system he would help us but that if he was not the judge selected there was nothing he could do.  He told Sergey there were 5 other judges available and it was likely he would not be the one selected by the 'lottery'.  Sergey said good enough and he, the inspector, and the judge went to the room to do the selection.  I wonder if Sergey prayed!?!?!?!

Guess which judge we received????????  The head judge!!!!!  And guess who kept his word and gave us the first possible date (due to approvals and paperwork)?  This judge!!!!!!!!!  Sergey's comment as he walked back in the door was, "You have a lot of praying friends!"

I know I was down yesterday.  I also know there will be other days until Vika is home (and after!) that I will be down...but I have literally seen God move here and it is incredible.\!  We are in a village where no other child has been adopted.  We are in a country where a lot of people think there is financial incentive for us to adopt...and they can look at Thomas and see we have already done it once - which probably confirms for them that money is our motivation.  We came over here not thinking about any of this at all...but the deck should have been very stacked against us.  Instead EVERY official we have come in contact with (from the orphanage to the government) has bent over backwards.  It is true answer to prayer and you guys have been the ones making it so!  Thank you for reminding me of a valuable lesson!

So I was on cloud nine and then got to have a 2 hour fight with Delta to change our supposed "refundable, changeable" tickets.  I won't waste anymore typing energy on them, but I will tell you I won that battle!  The 3 Hairs are flying home on Friday, the 13th!  (NO COMMENTS!)

The rest of my day was relaxing...and then a knock at the door...it was Vika with her grandmother!  Wow!!!  How much more excitement can a girl take???  Actually it was fine.  I couldn't understand a word she said but I smiled a lot and said dah a lot!  She was sweet and brought Vika some new shoes, candy, and a few other things.  I told her we would take good care of Vika and gave her lots of hugs.

I was able to play outside with a lot of the kids tonight and I took lots of pictures.  I also FELL IN LOVE - anyone reading this is forbidden to tell my husband, but 2 of them have STOLEN my heart.  UGHHHHHHHHHH  I need to stay off of the playground!!!!!!!

I miss home and our friends.  We have some friends traveling soon and some waiting on dates.  We also have some friends with other important things coming up.  We are praying for each of you and your circumstances!

Sleep well!




No comments:

Post a Comment